Wi-Fi zone
St. Angel Castle

Castel Sant'Angelo

Hadrian had it built as a mausoleum for himself and his family. In order to have an easy access to this sepulchre from the area of Campo Marzio a bridge was built crossing the Tiber river, the Elio Bridge, which was inaugurated in 134 A.D. The construction of the mausoleum was completed after the death of Hadrian (138 A. D.), in 139 A. D., by Antoninus Pius: immediately after his death Hadrian was buried in another place at Pozzuoli (near Naples).

The edifice had a base in brick with a side of 89 mt and 15 mt high, which supported the tomb, a circular structure 64mt in diameter and 21mt high. The exterior was completely covered by veneer marble. Today’s entrance which substitutes the original one is about 3mt higher.

From there a square room (vestibulum) with a niche which contained the huge statue of Hadrian. To the right of this room begins a shallow spiral ramp which links the building ‘s levels leading first to Hadrian’s funerary chamber 10mt higher than the vestibulum. Much of this is in a fine state of preservation and includes patches of its original black and white mosaic decoration.

The mausoleum was used as the resting place of emperors until the death of Settimio Severo at the beginning of the 3rd century. On top of the drum was a soil tumulus and crowning this was a gilded chariot driven by a vast statue of Hadrian. In the V century the mausoleum was incorporated by Honorius into the Aurelian Walls. Since then the mausoleum took the name of Castellum (castle). In 537 A.D. during the invasions of the Goths led by Vitige it became one of the strongest fortress and even the many statues which decorated the monument were used as weapons against the enemy! Around the 10th century it was transformed into a castle and residence: fortified by Crescenzio, member of the family of Alberico, it took the name of castrum Crescentii.

Teodorico transformed it into a prison (Carceres Theodorici) and it kept this function even under the papal and then the Italian government, until 1901. The statue of the angel, after which the castle is named was put on the top of it after a vision by pope Gregory the Great, who whilst leading a procession through Rome to pray for the end of a plague saw an angel sheating a sword, an act thought to symbolize the end of the pestilence.

Beside the statue of the angel is the Bell of the Misericordia (mercy), which announced the capital executions. The bronze statue of the angel crowning the battlements today was made by Pietro van Verschaffelt: it is the sixth of a series. The first in wood was substituted by consuption, the second one in marble fell down and broke into pieces, the fourth, in bronze, was melted for the cannons used in 1527, during the sack of Rome, the fifth, in marble with wooden wings, is today housed in the courtyard of the balls (so named after the cannonballs of different sizes here on display). The sixth one was painted by the French army with the colours of France during the invasion in 1798.

In the Capitoline Museums is also on display a stone upon which it is possible to see the foot print of the Angel when he stopped to announce the end of the plague. In 1277 the castle was linked with the Vatican by way of a covered passage known as the “passetto”.

The prisons were terrible, accounts survive of the tortures inflicted in its dungeons, and of the famous prisoners such as Benvenuto Cellini, incarcerated in its notorious San Marocco Cell. He tried to escape but in vain and when closed in the underground cells he painted a Christ on the wall of which we still have some remains. In the funeray chamber of the emperors took refuge Cola di Rienzo in 1347 and pope Clement VII during the sack.

Under Leo X and Pius IV representations were staged here and till the first years of last century the Girandola, a firework created by Michelangelo himself was lit up here. Today the castle houses a museum and its rooms are splendidly decorated.

L’edificio aveva un basamento in mattoni quadrato, di 89 m di lato e alto 15 m. Entro questo recinto vi era il tamburo circolare, in opera cementizia, del diametro di 64 m, alto 21. All’esterno tutto il mausoleo doveva apparire rivestito di marmo. L’ingresso attuale è più alto di quello originale, che sostituisce, di circa 3 m.

Attraverso il corridoio si arriva ad una camera quadrata (vestibulum), con una nicchia semicircolare nel muro di fondo, dove doveva essere disposta una grande statua di Adriano. Sulla destra di questa stanza ha inizio un corridoio anulare, pavimentato in mosaico bianco, che porta alla camera funeraria: 4 pozzi verticali servivano a illuminare la galleria.

Essa descrive un giro completo, raggiungendo un livello di 10 m di altezza rispetto alla stanza quadrangolare (vestibulum). Da qui un corridoio reca alla stanza sepolcrale, posta esattamente al centro del monumento. In questa stanza quadrata, in origine interamente rivestita di marmo, trovarono sepoltura i successori di Adriano, fino a Caracalla. Al di sopra di questa vi sono altre due stanze e, sulla sommità del monumento, un podio sosteneva la quadriga bronzea con la statua di Adriano.

L’uso sepolcrale del monumento cessò con Settimio Severo (193-211 d. C.). Già intorno al 400 d. C. il mausoleo fu incluso in un bastione avanzato delle Mura Aureliane, realizzato probabilmente da Onorio. Da questo momento il sepolcro, finora chiamato Adrianeum o Templum Adriani, prese il nome di Castellum. Nel 537 d. C. sostenne l’assedio dei Goti di Vitige e fu in quell’occasione, come racconta Procopio, che i difensori utilizzarono come proiettili anche le numerose statue che ornavano il monumento! Intorno al X sec. probabilmente avvenne la trasformazione in castello: fortificato da Crescenzio, della famiglia di Alberico, assunse il nome di castrum Crescentii.

Teodorico lo adibì a prigione (Carceres Theodorici) e tale funzione fu mantenuta al “castello” anche sotto i papi e con il governo italiano, fino al 1901. La statua dell’Angelo, che dà il nome al castello, fu posta sulla sua sommità in ricordo dell’apparizione a S. Gregorio Magno, nel 1600, dell’angelo che, rinfoderando la spada, annunciava la fine della grave pestilenza che aveva colpito Roma.

Accanto alla statua dell’angelo è la Campana della Misericordia, che annunciava lugubremente le esecuzioni capitali. L’angelo attuale è di bronzo ed è opera di Pietro van Verschaffelt: esso è il sesto della serie. Il primo, di legno, fu sostituito per consunzione; il secondo, di marmo, crollò e andò a pezzi; il terzo, di marmo, fu abbattuto da un fulmine; il quarto, di bronzo, venne fuso per farne cannoni nel 1527, durante il Sacco di Roma; il quinto, di marmo con ali di bronzo, è oggi nel Cortile delle palle (detto così dai mucchi di palle di cannone di tutte le misure che costituivano il munizionamento del castello). L’attuale, di bronzo, nel 1798 fu dipinto dai Francesi di bianco, rosso e azzurro e, con in testa un berretto frigio, fu ribattezzato “Genio della Francia liberatrice di Roma”.

Nel Museo Capitolino è conservata una pietra circolare su cui la tradizione riconosce l’impronta dei piedi dell’Arcangelo, quando si fermò per annunziare la fine della peste. Nel 1277 fu costruito il “Corridoio Vaticano”, che conduceva dal Palazzo del Vaticano a Castel S. Angelo per fornire al papa una via di fuga in caso di pericolo.

Terribili erano le sue prigioni, ancor oggi visitabili, specie la cella detta Sammalo o San Marocco, nella quale il condannato veniva calato dall’alto e a malapena riusciva a sistemarsi piegato in quanto non poteva stare né in piedi, né disteso. Tra gli illustri ospiti delle prigioni possiamo ricordare Benvenuto Cellini, il quale, riuscito a scappare, fu ripreso e gettato nei sotterranei, dove si consolò dipingendo un Cristo risorto, di cui rimangono ancora tracce. Nella camera sepolcrale degli imperatori si rifugiarono Cola di Rienzo, alla sua prima cacciata nel 1347 e Clemente VII, durante il Sacco.

Sotto Leone X e Pio IV si tennero nel castello anche spettacoli teatrali e, fino ai primi del nostro secolo, in occasioni speciali, vi si accendeva la Girandola, un fuoco d’artificio creato, pare, da Michelangelo. Oggi il castello è sede di un museo e le sue stanze sono splendidamente affrescate.